HÁ MAR E MAR, HÁ IR E VOLTAR


There isn't a lot I can say about my time as an EVS volunteer that I haven't already said or written. Oh, how time flies! It feels as if just last week I started my European Voluntary Service, arriving in Deão full of excitement and curiosity, nervous to meet my new colleagues and see the place I would work in. Now my 10 months have passed, my project is over and Gretel and I had to say our goodbyes.


Gretel already wrote a very nice post about our last weeks of working in Deão, and the beautiful, bittersweet moments of goodbye that we celebrated. All of the wonderful, caring people that we met and got to know in the last year filled our hearts - and a jar of notes for me! The words and messages I received will forever stay in my memory; and if I start to forget, I can reach inside my little glass and play a lottery of niceness.


Even though Gretel and I did many things together in our cherished time at the AJD, the situation during the last couple of weeks was a bit different for me; instead of leaving Deão, Viana and Portugal behind, I chose to stay and try my luck at making a living here. Therefore, many of the "goodbyes" were just a "see you later!", which kept the tears at bay and the sadness out of my heart.

Nevertheless, I went back to my home town after my voluntary service was up - to soak in as much of my family, friends and the city of Berlin as I could. While in Germany, I returned my focus to the passion and profession I had never truly left behind: filmmaking!

After such a long time in Portugal, my German felt a bit rusty, but my camera was well-oiled - as anyone who ever met me can confirm, I hardly go anywhere without it! Together with some fellow former students and friends, I participated in the world's biggest short film festival and had a lot of fun.


Now I am back in Viana, and finally had the chance to reflect on everything that has happened to me here. More than just the actual work – the English classes, the editing of videos, taking lots of photos, building Berlin walls and painting Azulejos, creating slideshows of cute toddlers, joining elderly people on trips – it's the private, convivial moments that I remember: the smiles and hugs of the children at the Ludoteca, the jokes of the teenagers in the loud bus ride from Lanheses to Deão, the interesting conversations over lunch at the CSPD. These are the moments and people that will forever stay in my heart, and I hope that I left as much of an impression on them as they did on me.

I want to take this chance to thank the people that made this experience possible and that made my year so special. First and foremost, to the AJD: you were a great host organization and took good care of us as volunteers. To my “bosses” – you are sympathetic, kind people who helped me when it was necessary; it was a pleasure to work with you! To my “partners in crime”, Gretel and Natalia – we had a fantastic time together, you were great colleagues and became good friends; I wish you all the best in life!

And last but not least, thank you to all the youngsters, colleagues, teachers, mentors, and friends that accompanied this time. You are made from a special Minho fabric that is worth all the gold in the world, and I will cherish our experiences forever. You have taught me more about intercultural communication, acceptance, tolerance, work ethics, education, the Portuguese language and culture than I ever thought possible. Now go out there, enjoy this beautiful country, and make the best out of the life that you have been given!

And always remember - volunteers have wings ;)


See you around,
Melanie


Não há muito que eu possa dizer sobre o meu tempo como voluntária que eu já não tenha dito ou escrito. Como o tempo passa a voar! Parece que apenas na semana passada eu comecei o meu Serviço Voluntário Europeu, chegando a Deão cheia de excitação e curiosidade, nervosa para conhecer os meus novos colegas e ver o lugar onde eu iria trabalhar. Agora os meus 10 meses passaram, meu projeto acabou e a Gretel e eu tivemos que nos despedir. Gretel já escreveu um post muito bom sobre as nossas últimas semanas de trabalho em Deão, e os momentos "agridoces" de adeus que temos celebrados. Todas as maravilhosas e atenciosas pessoas que conhecemos no ano passado encheram nossos corações - e um frasco de notas para mim! As palavras e as mensagens que recebi vão ficar para sempre na minha memória; e se eu começar a esquecer, eu posso retirar um papel de dentro do meu frasquinho e jogar uma lotaria de simpatia.

Embora Gretel e eu tenhamos feito muitas coisas juntas no nosso tempo na AJD, a situação durante as últimas semanas foi um pouco diferente para mim; em vez de deixar Deão, Viana e Portugal para trás, eu escolhi ficar e tentar a minha sorte aqui. Portanto, muitos dos "adeus" eram apenas um "até já!", e isto manteve as lágrimas e a tristeza fora do meu coração.

No entanto, eu voltei para minha cidade natal após meu serviço voluntário - para absorver tanto da minha família, amigos e da cidade de Berlim quanto pude. Enquanto estive na Alemanha, voltei o meu foco para a paixão e profissão que eu nunca tinha realmente deixado para trás: o cinema!

Depois de um período tão longo em Portugal, o meu alemão estava um pouco enferrujado, mas a minha câmara estava bem oleada - como qualquer pessoa que já conheci me pode confirmar, eu quase não vou a qualquer lugar sem ela! Juntamente com alguns colegas ex-alunos e amigos, eu participei no maior festival de curtas do mundo e diverti-me muito.

Agora estou de volta em Viana, e finalmente tive a oportunidade de refletir sobre tudo o que me aconteceu aqui. Mais do que apenas o verdadeiro trabalho - as aulas de inglês, a edição de vídeos, tirar muitas fotos, a construção de um muro de Berlim e a pintura de Azulejos, juntar-me a idosos em viagens, criar apresentações de slides de bebês fofinhos, - são os momentos privados de convívio de que me lembro: os sorrisos e abraços das crianças na Ludoteca, as piadas dos adolescentes na viagem de autocarro de Lanheses para Deão, as conversas interessantes durante o almoço no CSPD. Estes são os momentos e pessoas que vão ficar para sempre no meu coração, e eu espero ter deixado tanto de uma impressão neles, como eles e elas em mim.

Quero aproveitar esta oportunidade para agradecer as pessoas que tornaram possível esta experiência e que me ajudaram no meu ano tão especial. Em primeiro lugar, a AJD: vocês são uma ótima organização de acolhimento e tomaram bem conta de nós como voluntários. Às minhas "chefas" - vocês são simpáticas e amáveis pessoas, que me ajudaram quando era necessário; foi um prazer trabalhar com vocês! Para as minhas "partners in crime", Gretel e Natalia - tivemos um tempo fantástico juntas, vocês foram grandes colegas e se tornaram boas amigas; Desejo-vos as maiores felicidades na vida! 

E por último mas não menos importante, obrigada a todos os jovens, colegas, professores, mentores, amigos e amigas que acompanharam este tempo. Vocês estão feitas de um tecido especial do Minho que vale todo o ouro do mundo, e eu vou apreciar nossas experiências para sempre. Aquilo que me ensinaram sobre comunicação intercultural, aceitação, tolerância, ética de trabalho, educação, e a cultura e o idioma Português, foi mais do que imaginei ser possível.

Agora vão lá, apreciar este belo país, e fazer o melhor possível da vida que vos foi dada!

E lembre-se sempre - voluntários têm asas;)
Beijinhos e até já,
Melanie

Comments

  1. Gretel MarksteinerApril 4, 2016 at 3:42 PM

    Quem gosta vem... mas quem amou ficou ;)

    I'm so happy for you, wish you all the best of luck both personally and professionally and hope to see you all soon

    Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment