LEAVING BERLIN, NEVER EASY


I had about 6 weeks to prepare for my EVS, between receiving the good news of my selection as a participant and embarking on the plane to Portugal. I spent a couple of days just going into the city and enjoying Berlin, my hometown that means so much to me.

I went to a Handball game with my family (ironically, FC Porto against Berlin!), had a Currywurst, a slice of Barcomi's cake, strolled across the Alexanderplatz, played some board games and met up with my friends. All throughout this time the inescapable thought was running through my head that this would be the last time for a while. The last Füchse game, the last carrot cake, the last round of Qwirkle. Time just flew away from me and I didn't get to do nearly enough of the things I had planned. That last trip to the Ritter chocolate store, that holiday video I wanted to edit, and some family chores that I had been procrastinating for months all had to be cut from my itinerary. 

Of course these weeks were also incredibly exciting! There was a crackle of electricity in the air, full of opportunities and giddy happiness. I had been waiting and looking forward to this chance for a long while, and I told every person I met about my oncoming adventure! People I hadn't talked to in years congratulated me and wished me well. Although not everyone understood the virtue of spending a year abroad to volunteer, I was proud of my plans. 

I couldn't wait to see my new home, fill my new apartment with IKEA basics and ragtag decorations. I was nervously excited to see my workplace and meet my coworkers - I hoped they liked chocolate and German gummibears! I was listening to Ana Moura and the Azeitonas to get into the Portuguese mood, and my family opened a bottle of Port Wine on my birthday. I was ready!

Tive cerca de 6 semanas para me preparar para o EVS, entre receber a notícia fantástica de que tinha sido seleccionada, até entrar no avião para Portugal. Passei alguns dias a passear pela cidade e a aproveitar Berlim, a minha cidade, que me diz tanto!

Fui a um jogo de andebol com a minha família (ironicamente, o FC Porto contra os Füchse de Berlim!), comi uma currywurst (salsicha de caril), uma fatia de bolo na Barcomi's, passeei na Alexanderplatz, joguei jogos de tabuleiro e estive com os meus amigos. Durante todo este processo, permaneceu o pensamento, inevitável, de que seria a última vez que o faria durante algum tempo; O último jogo de andebol, a última fatia de bolo de cenoura, a última rodada de Qwirkle. O tempo voou e eu acabei por não fazer tudo aquilo que tinha planeado: a última visita à loja da Ritter Sport, o vídeo das férias que eu queria ter editado, tarefas familiares que estavam na minha agenda há meses mas que eu acabei por adiar e por não conseguir completar. 

Obviamente, estas semanas também foram incrivelmente excitantes! Havia uma expectativa no ar, cheia de oportunidades e aquela alegria quase infantil! Eu estava à espera desta oportunidade há imenso tempo e acabei por falar a toda a gente desta aventura. Algumas pessoas, que eu não via há anos, deram-me os parabéns e desejaram-me sorte. Ainda que nem toda a gente tenha percebido a virtude de tirar um ano para fazer voluntariado, eu estava orgulhosa dos meus planos.

Mal podia esperar para ver a minha casa nova, encher o apartamento com os básicos da IKEA e decorações encontradas aqui e ali. Estava nervosa e ansiosa para conhecer os meus colegas e o meu novo local de trabalho — e a rezar para que gostassem de chocolate e gomas Alemãs! Ouvi Ana Moura e Os Azeitonas para entrar no espírito Português, e a minha família abriu uma garrafa de vinho do Porto nos meus anos. Já estava preparada!

And then there was The Big Packing-and-Cleaning! While spring was trying to take hold of Northern Europe, I was sorting, organizing, stacking and throwing out. Having never had my own household, I thankfully didn't have any furniture to worry about, but nevertheless I decided to take with me nearly everything that I owned (or more exactly, everything that was mobile enough for cardboard boxes and to send via post). Packing up my childhood bedroom truly felt like moving out.

E depois a Grande Limpeza e o Fazer das Malas! Enquanto a Primavera se esforçava para tomar conta do Norte da Europa, eu estava a organizar, escolher e a deitar fora o que não interessava. Como nunca tinha tido um apartamento meu, decidi trazer quase todos os meus pertences (ou melhor, tudo o que era passível de ser transportado em malas ou pelo correio). Empacotar o meu quarto de infância fez-me finalmente sentir que me estava a mudar. 

I left Berlin in the early hours of the morning, before the sun had touched the sky. Goodbyes were made quickly and without flourishes, like ripping off a bandaid. By the time I was above the clouds, there was only one thing on my mind - I was moving to Portugal!

Deixei Berlim nas primeiras horas da manhã, antes de o sol tocar o céu. As despedidas foram rápidas e sem floreados, como arrancar um penso-rápido. Assim que me vi acima das nuvens um pensamento tomou conta de mim: estou a mudar-me para Portugal!




Comments

  1. Lindo este texto, Melanie! Acho que já captaste a essência da Saudade...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to hoping it was worth it! :) (it's certainly a wonder to have you here. :)) <4

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment