OLÁ, PORTUGAL

... and that was my cue. How my enthusiasm to move to and live in different countries and my hasty spontaneity lead me once again to beginning a new life.

So there I was, having finished my studies and nowhere near ready to starting my professional life. Dealing with my master thesis, keeping an eye on job opportunities and craving a break from all of it, it was an email announcing a 10-month European Voluntary Service in a little village in Portugal that was to change my life.

A video - a creative, fun, little video, that was all it took to apply for the position. And it went on with insurances, meeting the sending and receiving organisation, getting to know Melanie, my co-volunteer, planning the trip and financial matters, all the while realizing that I had actually taken this spontaneous leap to begin with.

My flight was on 13 April, 2015 and after a - I will admit it - teary farewell, I got on the plane with the destination of my new life, landing in about two and a half hours. I was welcomed like in the movies, with two ladies holding a banner with my name on. After giving me a short incredulous look, a peck on my cheeks, and having presented myself with the few Portuguese bits I could still remember from my Brazilian Portuguese classes back home, one of them said:

I thought you were taller! You looked taller over Skype!

The other one followed up immediately:

Would you like to go to the bathroom first before we leave?

It was a funny first conversation, that I was a bit surprised about. The two are my lovely bosses, Paula and Joaquina, and today we are still joking about the "warm" welcome I got in Portugal :p
We went directly to my apartment which is located in the city centre of Viana and so very close to the water, but I will tell you all about it on another occasion. I was happy to discover my new little place and get some rest from the day. The morning after we would visit the association and meet again with Melanie and Sara, who is working in the AJD office.  

Well, my first article here is done, hope you enjoyed it and will stay tuned for all the great experiences and adventures we are yet to tell you about.

... e agora tocou-me a mim. O meu entusiasmo de me mover e de passar a viver em diferentes países e a minha espontaneidade, levou-me mais uma vez a começar uma nova vida.

Então lá estava eu, depois de ter terminado os meus estudos e estar longe de iniciar a minha vida profissional. Estava a terminar a minha tese de mestrado, a procurar oportunidades de emprego e a desejar uma pausa para tudo isto, quando recebi um e-mail a anunciar um Serviço Voluntário Europeu de 10 meses, numa pequena aldeia em Portugal, que mudou a minha vida.

Um vídeo - criativo, divertido, pequeno vídeo, foi o suficiente para me candidatar ao lugar. Depois tive que lidar com seguros, reuniões com a organização de envio e acolhimento, conhecer a Melanie, a outra voluntária do projeto, planear os aspetos financeiros e a viagem, ao mesmo tempo ia percebendo que tinha efetivamente que dar este salto.

O meu voo foi no 13 de abril de 2015 e depois de uma - eu vou admitir isso - despedida chorosa, eu entrei no avião com o destino a minha nova vida, desembarcando cerca de duas horas e meia depois. Eu fui recebida como nos filmes, por duas senhoras que seguravam uma placa com o meu nome. Depois de olhares incrédulos, beijos na minha cara, e uma apresentação com as poucas palavras portuguesas que eu ainda me lembrava das minhas aulas de português brasileiro, uma delas disse:


Eu pensei que fosses mais alta! Tu parecias mais alta no Skype!

A outra seguiu-se imediatamente:


Tu queres ir à casa de banho antes de sairmos?

Foi uma primeira conversa engraçada, que me surpreendeu. As duas são as minhas adoráveis ​​chefes, Paula e Joaquina, e ainda hoje brincamos com as boas-vindas "calorosas" que eu recebi quando cheguei em Portugal: p
Nós fomos diretamente para o meu apartamento, que está localizado no centro da cidade de Viana e muito perto do rio, mas vou contar-vos tudo sobre isto noutra ocasião. Eu estava feliz por descobrir o meu novo pequeno lugar e conseguir relaxar um pouco. Na manhã seguinte fui visitar a associação e encontrar-me novamente com a Melanie e a Sara que é técnica na AJD.

Bem, o meu primeiro artigo está feito, espero que tenham gostado e fiquem atentos a todas as grandes experiências e aventuras que vamos contar-vos.

Beijinhos,
Gretel




Comments