Looking back on 6 months of volunteering in AJD

Olá e bom ano novo!


How quickly time flies, and now I´m enjoying my last week that I have left as a volunteer in AJD.

If I reflect on my last months, I can say that they changed my life. Be it highs or lows, I learnt from both...

... Arriving in the Summer Camps of AJD where I could spent most of the time with all the kids.

... Filing a police report after something bad was happening to me.

... Helping in a Youth Exchange where I met young people from different European countries, where I        could see my Grand Uncle after some hurdles, but where I also didn´t sleep enough.

... My first holidays to Lisboa and Lagos where I had my first backpacking experience and met Genia, now my new friend from Indonesia.

... Doing gardening in AJD and discovering the communication part of AJD.

... Get to know to the Ludoteca space when the kids arrive after their school day.

... The arrival of new volunteers from France where one of them unfortunately had not such a good behaviour.

... My 19th Birthday where I didn´t know if one of us volunteers has to leave the project because of the      mentioned problem.

... Finally the message that no one of us has to stop the project. 

... The funny Portuguese classes with teacher Jacqueline where I learnt a lot even though they were in        Portuguese - French.

... My one week trip to Madeira, where I became more self-confident as everything that I organised            went well.

... The Sunday that I spent with my family in Porto.

... Organising and preparing several activities with Orléna for the kids where I really enjoyed tinkering with her.

... Working on Wednesday in "Centro Social Paroquial de Deão" to help seniors. 

... Traveling in the warm winter (compared to Germany) to see all the wonderful Christmas decoration.

... The mid-term-training in Lisboa where I could enjoy the city with other ESK volunteers.

... The realisation of my personal project while I was starting to interview pilgrims.

... The one week of Winter Camps where the kids finally came for the whole day again.

... Staying during the "Boas festas" without my family but for this celebrating New Year in Lisboa.

... Every compliment that people gave me and the hugs that I received from the kids.

These are already a lot of aspects, but in reality there are a lot of more. 

Even though volunteer work can´t be without lows, I´m happy about my volunteering in Portugal and I don´t regret my last 6 months.

 

Before I leave Portugal on the 8th of January, I´d like to say thank you to all the volunteers in AJD with whom I stayed (Ana Filipa, Carla, Eol, Félix, Inaki, Kévin, Lucie, Orléna and Sofía). A big thank you also goes to all the people working in AJD (especially Erica, Jerusa, Liliana, Mariana and Verónica) and Centro Social Paroquial de Deão, to the mentors (Natalina, Patrícia and Cristiano), to my Portuguese teacher Jacqueline and to all the other people that I met in these 6 months like the kind bus drivers who took me every day to work, the pilgrims that I interviewed or the people that I met while traveling. 

Finally and not to forget are the kids in AJD and the seniors in Centro Social Paroquial de Deão who have all a warm heart.

Obrigada por tudo😊

        

      

Comments