September 2023

Hello, now the third month of my volunteering in AJD is already coming to an end.

It started with some weeding in the garden of AJD. Then, I had my first holidays here in Portugal. I used my 4 free days and the second weekend in September to travel at first to Lisbon by bus. There, I´ve visited the beautiful capital of Portugal and made new friends while staying in a youth hostel: one Australian and one Indonesian girl. It was very interesting for me to see that they were very open to the German culture and also curious about it. We even found some parallels between the German and Indonesian culture! 

After 2 days, I left the city to go by bus to Lagos. Since then, I haven´t seen them again, but we are still writing messages to each other. 

In Lagos, I´ve spent my time with hiking along the coast and relaxing at the beach. That was a good end of my vacation. 

Afterwards, I continued the gardening a little bit, but I also started my work in the office of AJD. There, I could start my personal project. It was my choice to find a topic for this project. As I´ve seen several pilgrims passing the street while I was waiting for the bus, I became curious: Viana do Castelo is part of the "Caminho Português da Costa". That´s why I chose the Portuguese version of the "Camino de Santiago" as my theme. To start in a good way, I made at first a session plan, reflected about my goals and discussed everything with AJD. The most important step in the beginning is to find partners for help because I´d like to interview pilgrims for several reasons: for example get to know better to the pilgrims and their different culture and personality as well as following their advice. For that reason, we contacted the "Associação dos Amigos do Caminho Português da Costa" in Viana do Castelo.

Right now, we are waiting for their answer. But it never gets boring, as I can help now also in the communication department of AJD. There, I got to know to this blog here and can share now my volunteering experience in Portugal with you. 

Furthermore, I can finally see the kids in the Ludoteca again because they are coming in the afternoon after their school day. Together with the new volunteers, we could already prepare an activity for them.
But this won´t be the only one: right next week on the 3rd of October, I can present them my home country, Germany. And I´m really looking forward to do this as I´ve already planned a nice baking activity and the 3rd of October is a German National Day.


Comments