Hi! They call me Gabriel, I am 27 years old that enjoys cycling without a destination, appreciating nature, meeting new people and diving into the world of gastronomy and culture.

I grew up in the sunny corner of Mediterranean sea that almost never observes the rain. The island of sweet lemons and bitter oranges, where the boats are flying on crystal clear waters, with delicious gastronomy where people live to eat, where rich history and culture gave birth to the goddess of love, Aphrodite, on the coast of Cyprus. Life there is slow, keep moving from breakfast to lunch and from lunch to dinner with the same panoramic view and the same company. Discussing loudly the latests match results, political statements, predicting the worlds future and analyzing everything that moves and breaths along. Life keeps going on for another day in the belly button of the center of the world. 

One of those days, while sitting on the table with friends and after a couple of coffees, I got enlightened. I decided to go to other places to find the ocean and learn the beautiful portuguese language that Jorge Ben Jor was singing on my phone. Returning back to the land of one of the happiest people, where everyone is welcomed, where the wine is green and cod fish smell is coming out from every home. This must be the true love. 

Immediately I got into the online world and searched for an ESC project where I can volunteer and connect more into my inner human world. Having previous worked with various NGOs and companies working with European Projects I came across Cyprus Youth Clubs Organizations which they were looking for a volunteer in Viana Do Castelo. I immediately grabbed my phone to call and asked if the vacancy was still available as the deadline had already passed. Ivy was really helpful and said there might be a small chance to go. That moment I couldn’t hold myself on the ground from the excitement, hope dies last they say. I prepared my cv on the spot and received a response for an interview. Despite the lack of private space and low internet connection I managed to do the interview in a small forest in a small village in the small country of Lithuania.    Natasha and Jerusa while explaining the activities and opportunities for volunteers in the association a rush of adrenaline and excitement crossed my mind. I couldn’t sleep the whole night thinking about volunteering there. This must be real love. 

Is it a train, is it a horn, is it a Cristiano Ronaldo goal...? No! is Gabriel receiving a response that he got accepted for volunteering in Associação Juvenil de Deão!!

Long story short, here I am. 
After 2 long days of travelling I arrived in Portugal where the freedom of the powerful ocean hit my face and wet my jeans. 

Landing in Deão I felt the warm welcome and the connection with the group. Jerusa is a wonderful person, very smart and a hard worker at the association with a big smile and golden style. Ana Paula is the treasurer at the association and one of the founding mothers of the association. She is always there to help and mirror that in the superb culture of the association. Angelica is very sweet and entertaining , she is responsible for the ludothèque where children come regularly from 17:30 to 19:00. She always has surprises and activities for the children and us, she makes the working place so warm with her presence. The  main working place is a colorful building surrounded by big trees and children’s voices. 

Going home after work in Darque is very near to Viana de castelo and the ocean. The houses here are beautifully embroidered on traditional ceramics with seagulls flying above us. In the house we are 2 boys and 2 girls. Martin is a curious lad from france, big fun of Coca-Cola and Cristiano Ronaldo, whom we will be working together and is also my roomate. Francesca a young girl from Italy is in love with cooking pasta, singing and taking decent pictures. Natasha a.k.a. Guapa, the connecting link with work, new friends and life in Viana, is having her last month with us but she promised she will come back soon. 

Work for the first month will be learning portuguese so we can communicate in our tasks. For that, we meet everyday at 14:00 in Deão to study and we go once per week to a portuguese class. From 17:30 until 19:00 we help Angelica with her activities for the children. The children are from 6 to 11 years old and they bring such happiness with their creativity, screams, games, curiosity and energy. They take instruments to create their band, run in circles outside, play games to challenge their mind, they do acrobatics and act crazy for fun. 

During our free time we go for coffee by the ocean, explore the city or feed the seagulls by the bridge. Not to forget the free surf class we have once per week. The adrenaline of catching the wave and the foam pushing you feels like surfing the sky, so close to heaven. 


Deão no Coração







Comments